HMRC is to stop issuing paper copies of clients’ tax calculations and tax year overviews for mortgage applications for self employed people using tax agents, insisting that it has come to an agreement with the Council of Mortgage Lenders about accepting online print outs

Tax advisers and accountants are still phoning HMRC for a paper copy of their client’s tax calculation and/or their tax year overview because their client’s lender will not accept the self-serve copy printed from the HMRC online account or the commercial software used to file the self assessment return, or their commercial software does not print.

HMRC has been in discussion with UK Finance (formerly the Council of Mortgage Lenders) and their members to understand lenders’ requirements and make the necessary changes so that they will accept self-served copies of the tax calculation from the HMRC online account or the commercial software used to file the self assessment return.

The majority of lenders have now agreed to accept self-serve copies and HMRC has produced a list of these lenders on its website. It is understood that the majority of major lenders are now on the HMRC list, although some smaller finance firms may decide not to go down this route as the volume of self employed mortgages is so low.

Commercial software companies will update their software to ensure that it offers a print facility.

This means that all agents who have filed a self assessment return online will be able to print a copy of the tax calculation and/or the Tax Year Overview when it suits them rather than calling HMRC and waiting up to two weeks to receive a copy.

HMRC confirmed: ‘Now that we have made all the changes required to allow agents to self-serve online we will no longer be issuing paper copies of the tax calculations directly to agents from 4 September 2017.

If a lender refuses to accept self-serve copies, HMRC suggests that ‘agents check if they are on the List of Lenders who accept them’.

HMRC list of Mortgage providers and lenders who accept a SA302 tax calculation